When playing online games on the device Windows 10 any delay in data transfer can affect the outcome of the gameplay. In this post, I will explain how to disable Nagle’s algorithm to optimize internet speed in Windows 10.
Algorithm Nagle — named after John Nagle — is a TCP / IP network efficiency enhancer that reduces the number of packets that have to be sent over the network.
Apps and games for which an up-to-date response time is important, for example, Dota 2 matchesmay not work well with Nagle’s algorithm. They assume that some action is sent immediately, while the algorithm delays the transmission on purpose, increasing the efficiency of using network bandwidth at the expense of latency. For this reason, low-bandwidth applications for urgent transmissions typically use TCP_NODELAY to bypass the Nagle algorithm delays.
To disable Nagle’s algorithm and optimize Windows 10, do the following:
1. Check the current IP address of your network interface.
Open a command prompt with administrator rights, type the command and press Enter:
Write down the IPv4 address on the output.
2. Disable Nagle’s algorithm
Now you can continue working with the registry. Before making any changes, back up the registry or a system restore point as a necessary precaution.
After that, you can continue:
- Press the keys Windows + Rto bring up the Run dialog box.
- In the window Execute enter
regeditand press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the registry key:
- At this point, you will need to check each of the listed interfaces to find the one with the correct current IPv4 address.
- On the right side, create two new DWORD (32-bit) entries.
- Rename one to TcpAckFrequency and press Enter.
- Rename the second to TCPNoDelay and press Enter.
- Now double click on each new value to edit the properties.
- Enter 1 in the Value data field.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Reboot your computer.
Want more posts? Looking for technology news? Read reviews on gadgets? For all this, as well as for website promotion, purchase of a new design and payment for hosting, I need help from you, loyal and grateful readers. Read more about donations at special page…
Thanks in advance! All collected funds will be used for the development of the site. Project support is a gift to the site owner.